Top Ten Food Restaurants in Harvard Square
I get asked this every time I mention my blog to people: "what's your favorite?" So, I've taken a crack at it, in this case working only off of the food quality - ignoring price, atmosphere, etc.
(Note I'm writing this without having been to absolutely EVERY restaurant in the Square - but I'm pretty confident about the top ones regardless.)
Top Ten Restaurants in Harvard Square, By Food Quality:
1) Upstairs on the Square (downstairs). Exceptional ingredients, creativity in selection, all foods prepared perfectly. Savory, sweet, everything in between - "practically perfect in every way."
2) Cardullo's. Universal appeal from everyone who ate there: The food is outstanding. Somehow they make a 'normal' sandwich something special.
3. Veggie Planet. This is a real find, stuck in a basement where you wouldn't expect it. Great food, all vegeterian, usually served as a pizza.
4. Felipe's. I love burritos, and nobody does them better than Felipe's. Great value, super fast service, high quality food, and you get to watch them make it to your specifications.
5. Bartley's Burger Cottage. Ever have a perfect burger? The kind you try to make on the grill, but don't get quite right? It's got a bit of a crust on the outside - but not too much - and it's cooked just enough inside so the flavor just rushes into your mouth? This is the place.
6. Tamarind Bay. Finally, an Indian restaurant with creative, interesting, and delicious food! Not enough options in the buffet, but what's there is excellent.
7. Le's Vietnamese Restaurant (formerly Pho Pasteur) . Wonderful food, sure to satisfy, wide variety.
8. Cafe Pamplona. This is a real find - authentic Spanish food prepared well. Simple menu, but what they make, they do well.
9. Finale. Surprisingly tasty sandwiches (from a dessert place).
10. Charlie's Kitchen. It's all about matching expectations - if you're looking for an outstanding greasy burger, you can't do better than Charlie's.